If you are thinking about getting an oral piercing, be careful. They carry with them a lot of dangers that can make you incredibly sick, especially if your mouth isn't in tip-top shape.
- You could get an infection where the piercing is, or in the surrounding tissues.
- If that infection spreads, it could wind up in your heart. This can be fatal.
- Your mouth could start bleeding during the piercing and decide it doesn't want to stop any time soon.
- Your gums could get hurt by being hit or rubbed the wrong way from the piercing.
- You could chip or crack your teeth if the piercing hits them or gets bumped into them, even slightly.
- Your mouth could wind up sore in the area of the piercing much longer than the normal recovery period.
- The infection site can get raw and struggle to heal because it is filled with the bacteria that are normally kept within the confines of the mouth.
- Your mouth may not function like normal after the piercing, including speaking, eating, and sleeping.
Oral piercings are not a good idea. They can do a lot of damage to your mouth. They can cause issues you may struggle with for years, or even the rest of your life.
To find out if your oral piercing is causing any problems, contact our office. If you have not yet gotten a piercing, speak with your dentist first. It may save your smile!